We are Teochew. I remember when we were kids, my mom cooked rice porridge every morning. I didn’t know whether it was because we were poor, or because she wanted to cook something easy and simple. Sometimes our meal was plain rice porridge with salted egg or canned vegetables. I like salted egg yolk, because salted egg white is always very salty. But if I just took the salted egg yolk and left the salted egg white on the table, my parents would scold me. I just might have half a piece of salted egg for a meal.
Now, I can do homemade salted chicken eggs and I have one and half pieces for a meal.
Why chicken eggs, and not duck eggs? Because the price for duck egg is $0.90/each, but chicken eggs are $0.90/dozen!
An easy way to boil the egg is using a rice cooker, instead of boiling water on the stove. You don’t need to guess when the egg is done; just cook the egg in a rice cooker until the button turns off, then it is done. When I cut the salted egg, the yellow liquid came out. I thought I hadn’t cooked it enough. No, it is the salted egg yolk’s oil.
I cooked rice porridge for a meal, served with salted egg and bak hu (pork floss)… recalling a past memory!
Ingredients – Makes your own prefer serving
- 8 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp ShaoHsing wine (or white wine)
- 2-3 Tbsp kosher salt or table salt
- Dip egg in wine in a little bowl, roll the egg to wet it all over. Next, roll the egg in salt in a small bowl, coating it well. Put the egg in a container. Continue the process with the rest of the egg. If there is salt left over, sprinkle it on the eggs in the container.
- Close the container tightly, and allow 20-30 days to mature (I checked after 25 days. I cooked 2 eggs and they were matured enough.)
- Fold 1-2 paper towels and soak with water until the water drips out. Put the wet paper towel in the bowl of a rice cooker, and place the eggs on it. Press cook button, and cook until the button turns off.
- Cut the hard-boiled salted egg in half, dig egg out from shell with a spoon, then serve.
材料 - 可做随喜份量
- 8粒 蛋
- 1 汤匙 绍兴酒（或白酒）
- 2-3 汤匙 盐