Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Snack - Kuih Pulut 'Bee Koh' (Sweet Glutinous Rice)


Do you know what ‘bee koh (kuih pulut)’ is? It is glutinous/sticky rice with coconut milk; a Nyonya dessert. My family used to make bee koh as one of the food offerings for the Festival of the Jade Emperor, a Taoist god. They wanted the food offerings to have something ‘red’, or a good meaning like 福 (fu in Chinese means good fortune), on top of it, so they had me use red food coloring to write a word, because I was good at calligraphy. I remember I was always glad to write for them.
I like bee koh but have not had it for a long time and almost forgot it. Last time I was in Penang was during the festival, and I saw a plate of bee koh, which was a food offering from my sister-in-law. We finished it immediately.
I remembered it recently, so I made it and the recipe:

Ingredients – Makes 8-10 servings
  • 2 cups glutinous/sweet rice
  • 3 pandan (screwpine) leaves (optional)
  • 200 ml coconut milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 6-8 Tbsp sugar
--> --> Water – enough to cover the glutinous/sweet rice if using a rice cooker Method
--> -->Soak the glutinous/sweet rice for at least 4 hours, then drain it and put it into a steam tray or rice cooker with the pandan leaves. Mix the coconut milk, salt and sugar. After the rice is cooked, add in the coconut milk mixture and stir well.
  • Remove the pandan leaves, and press the cooked rice onto a plate or into a mould. Let cool, then cut into pieces.

  • -->
    --> -->
    *Revision on Dec 9, 2008 修改
    你知道什么是 bee koh (kuih pulut) 吗?它是甜椰浆糯米糕,是一種娘惹糕。我家人大多数在拜天公诞时才做 bee koh 当供品。她们做好后,为了使供品有色及好意兆,所以要我用红色素沾水在糕上写字之类的,我的书法还好也乐得可以挥字。 我很喜欢吃 bee koh,但因很久没吃 bee koh 了,已没想念它。上次回槟城刚好碰上天公诞,看到三嫂买的一盘 bee koh 供品,三几人很快就把它吃完。 最近想起它,就自己做了食谱:
    -->
    材料 - 可做 8-10人份量
    • 2糯米
    • 3班兰叶(可有可无)
    • 200豪升 浓椰浆
    • 1/4茶匙
    • 6-8汤匙
    -->幼糖
  • 若用饭锅,水位盖过糯米
  • 做法
    --> -->糯米浸水至少4小时,然后倒掉浸水,将糯米及班兰叶放进蒸盘或煮饭锅。混合浓椰浆、盐和幼糖,放入已熟的糯米,搅拌均勻。
  • 弃掉班兰叶,用盘或模型盘盛装煮熟的糯米。冷后切块食用。
  • No comments: