Coconut jam (Malay: kaya, lit. ‘rich’) can be spread on bread, crescent rolls and biscuits. We suggest serving with butter also – they taste very good together.
The traditional way to cook this jam takes a couple of hours to steam it, stirring constantly…
Ingredients – Makes about 27 oz (760 gm) jam
- 5 large eggs
- ¾ cup (200 ml) coconut milk
- 1¼ cup (280 gm) sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 3 pandan (screwpine) leaves, wash and tie them in a knot
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Add sugar, coconut milk and salt and mix well. Strain the mixture into a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave it uncovered for 5 mins on power level 3 (1100W microwave; max power = level 10) and then stir.
- Put the pandan leaves in and microwave again for 5 mins on level 3. Stir it again. Microwave again for 4 mins on level 3.
- Remove the pandan leaves and microwave again 3 mins on level 3. Stir again – it should be starting to thicken by now.
- Cover the bowl, but leave a small opening for steam to escape. Microwave again for 2 mins on level 3. Stir and microwave for 2 mins on level 2.
- The jam should be smooth and easy to spread on bread. If it becomes curdled, keep stirring until it becomes smooth. Let it cool and serve. Always keep the jam in fridge and avoid getting water in the jam.
- Preparing kaya is similar to preparing a custard or lemon curd – the mixture should never come to a simmer or boil. During the cooking process, do not let the mixture get too hot or the eggs will curdle. Using low power levels takes more time to cook the kaya, but gives a better result.
- Pandan leaves are product of
Vietnamor In the Thailand. US, pandan leaves usually found in the freezer case in Asian grocery stores.
咖椰酱（马来语Kaya，其意思是富有）是可涂在面包。建议涂牛油和kaya – 两者合起来的味道非常好。
材料 - 可做27安士（760克）咖椰酱
- 5粒 A级鸡蛋
- ¾ 杯（200豪升） 浓椰浆
- 1¼ 杯（280克）糖
- 1撮 盐
- 3叶 班兰叶／香兰草，洗净并折捆打结
- 取掉班兰叶，搅拌后再放进3位热微波炉3分钟。取出搅拌 – 现已较浓液。
- 咖椰酱的做法有如做蛋羹或柠檬乳酪 – 混合液不能煮至热沸腾，在煮的过程中，不要使混合液太热或令蛋凝结。使用低热度会用较多时间煮咖椰酱，但效果会很好。